What Would Winston Say Today?
Winston Churchill was a special individual. A unique individual. He always stood on principle even at a significant cost to himself personally. He saved the United Kingdom by the force of his will during World War II. Then he got rejected after the war in the first election. It wasn’t the first time he was rejected. But he never strayed from him principles. He was born in 1874 and passed in 1965.
Let’s review some of his quotations.
- When I was younger, I made it a rule never to take a strong drink before lunch. It is now my rule never to do so before breakfast. (Single Malt is perfect.)
For today consider the following.
- The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
- Democracy is the worse form of government, except for all the others.
- Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.
- (Read about how the Scots viewed societal responsibilities)
Then getting closer to home.
- You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all other possibilities.
- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
- If you make 10,000 regulations you destroy all respect for the law.
- To build may have to be the slow laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.
- When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.
- All of the empires of the future will be empires of the mind.
- Every man should ask himself each day whether he is not too readily accepting negative solutions.
- If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.
- Some people regard private enterprise as a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look on it as a cow they can milk. Not enough people see it as a healthy horse, pulling a sturdy wagon.
- The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent value of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.
- The malice of the wicked was reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous.
- We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
The Time is Now.